August 2018 Newsletter
LETTER FROM THE GENERAL MANAGER JIM BULTEMA
Letter from the General Manager
Dear Railside friends,
And just like that, it’s August! How has the summer come – and gone – so quickly? Hopefully you’ve taken advantage of these beautiful summer days. Great golf days. The Club has been busy, busy, and that’s always exciting for me and the RGC team.
First of all, I would like to take a moment and thank our entire membership for their patience this summer as we are nearing completion of our bunker and drainage project. I know there is a ton of ground under repair and difficult lies, but we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! We are very excited to get the sod and sand firmed up and healthy. So thanks to everyone for understanding that this would be a year of dust and mess.
Secondly – Operation Golf with Heroes: The Club will host this great appreciation event again on September 10. We will welcome area first responders to participate as well as the 124th Marines who are just back from a tour in Afghanistan. These are the men and women who serve courageously – every day – in our stead as police officers, firefighters and soldiers. If you’re interested in sponsoring this event, visit www.operationgolfwithheroes.co
If you have any questions regarding the above or any other activities, please feel free to connect with the Club at any time. Enjoy this beautiful season on the golf course!
FROM THE PRO MATT KOETS
From the Pro
I hope this finds each of you well and enjoying a very nice summer so far. Railside has been witness to some outstanding tournament results over the last few months and we would like to congratulate the following players on their great play.
- Mike Garner and Duke Van Dyke- winners of the 2018 Men’s Member-Member Championship
- Tatum Berger and Traci Simon- winners of the 2018 Ladies’ Member-Member Championship
- Mike Wood and his guest, Gary Day- winners of the 2018 Men’s Member-Guest Invitational
- Diane de Vries and her guest, Sue Boman- winners of the 2018 Ladies’ Member-Guest Invitational
President’s Cup and Ringer Rounds
The President’s Cup Matches for Men, Ladies’, and Couples’ are winding down and we wish all the players who are still alive in each bracket the best of luck as the events come to a conclusion in a few short weeks. We are also excited to see our Ladies’ Ringer Event have such great participation! Please continue to schedule the matches and ringer rounds and notify the Golf Shop so that we can prepare the proper scorecard for you.
Upcoming August Events
- Couples’ Club Championship- August 3 & 4
- Men’s and Ladies’ Senior Club Championship- August 10 & 11
- Junior Club Championship- August 14
- Men’s and Ladies’ Club Championship- August 17 & 18
- Ladies’ League Closing Night- August 21
- Men’s League Closing Night- August 23
- Couples’ Twilight Texas BBQ- August 24
- Family Golf Event- August 25
- Ladies’ Purple Community Golf Event- August 28
- Lunch and Learn Golf Clinic- August 29
- Men’s Fall League Opening Night- August 30
- Ladies’ Tips and Sips- August 31
We also have a full slate of other events in the month of September.
- Couples’ Labor Day Shamble- September 3
- Ladies’ Fall League Opening Night- August 4
- Men’s Junior/Senior- September 7 & 8
- Ladies’ Junior/Senior- September 14 & 15
- Couples’ Glow Ball Twilight- September 21
- Lunch and Learn Golf Clinic- September 26
- Ladies’ Tips and Sips- September 28
- Ladies’ Thistle Cup & Men’s Gallagher Cup- September 29
Matt Koets, PGA
Head Golf Professional
FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT JEFF SMITH
From the Superintendent
If you have not had the chance, please visit the following link to learn more about our “Family Tees” from the Michigan Golf Journal.
The course renovation continues to press on. If all goes as planned, the major work should be completed within the next month. Thank you for your continued patience.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Golf Course Superintendent
Don’t forget about our Membership Matters program. Email Matt the names of a few folks who you believe would make excellent additions to our community, and we’ll thank you with a $10 gift certificate (per person) to our restaurant.
New Members since June