August 2020 Newsletter
LETTER FROM THE GENERAL MANAGER JIM BULTEMA
Letter from the General Manager
Summer is slowly coming to an end and fall is right around the corner. We have had a great summer season and hope for an even better fall!
A quick overview of things to come at Railside:
Fall Membership Referrals
Do you know someone who is interested in becoming a member here at Railside? If you refer a new member, they will receive a free membership for the remainder of 2020. Plus, you’ll receive 25% off next year’s dues. For more information about this deal please contact Jennifer.
The Union Pavilion
We are looking ahead and now booking the Union for 2021 and 2022 events. If you know a bride or have an event you wish to hold at the Union I encourage you to contact Donna.
A few pool reminders: please do not bring your own pool toys into the pool area. They can carry different bacteria from the lake or other areas that we’d like to try to eliminate. Also parents or a guardian need to accompany all children that are under the age of 14 to the pool at all times.
As always, thank you all for your continued support of the club.
FROM THE PRO MATT KOETS
Championship Results and Fall Updates
Club Championship Results
2020 Couples’ Club Champions- Lee & Renee Lynam
2020 Ladies’ Senior Club Champion – Renee Lynam
2020 Men’s Senior Club Champion – Bill DeBoer
2020 Ladies’ Club Champion – Traci Simon
2020 Men’s Club Champion – Kade Hoeksema
2020 Ladies’ Junior-Senior Champions – Jenn DeBoer & Terri DeBoer
September Golf Events
- Couples’ Labor Day Shamble- September 7, Make your own tee time 1:00pm-2:00pm
- Ladies’ Fall League Opening Night- September 8, 5:15pm
- Men’s Fall League Opening Night- September 10, 5:15pm
- Men’s Junior/Senior- September 11 & 12
- Couples’ Glow Ball Twilight- September 18, 5:30pm
- Ladies’ Thistle Cup & Men’s Gallagher Cup- September 26
- The Club will be hosting several re-scheduled golf outings during the month of September. Please check your daily Golf Shop Email for more information and course availability.
Golf Course and Practice Facility Reminders
- The golf course is for golfers only. Please do not ride your bicycles, walk, jog, fish, etc. on the course.
- Please keep all golf carts and single-rider carts on the cart paths next to each green and tee.
- Please always keep all golf carts and single-rider carts on the cart paths on the par three holes.
- Please avoid driving golf carts and single-rider carts through natural areas.
- Please repair your ball mark plus one more on the greens.
- Please repair your divots by replacing the turf or using sand bottles provided on the golf carts.
- Please use the proper divot pattern on the driving range. Make a straight line by placing the ball at the back of your previous divot. Do not scatter divots.
- The Practice Facility will close at 7:00pm during the month of September.
Once again, thank you for supporting the club through your participation in our golf events and in our Golf Shop. We are here to make your experience outstanding and we look forward to busy and exciting remainder of the summer and fall.
Matt Koets, PGA
Head Golf Professional
FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT JEFF SMITH
Around the Course
With slightly cooler temperatures to start out the month of August, we will be taking advantage of the favorable weather. We have many culture practices planned that will improve the way the golf course plays:
• Needletining Greens- bringing oxygen to the roots, promoting root growth.
• Granular Fertilizing the Rough- looking for more color and lush turf.
• Top Dressing Greens- increases the speed and a smooth roll of the ball.
• Verticutting Greens and Fairways- thatch removal, helps fertilizer get into the soil, and also benefits us with moisture control.
We hope everyone is enjoying the the golf course!
Golf Course Superintendent