April 2019 Newsletter
LETTER FROM THE GENERAL MANAGER JIM BULTEMA
Spring has Arrived
Letter from the General Manager
With the arrival of spring and warmer weather we have opened the back nine of the golf course! It won’t be long before the rest of the course is open and we are back in the full swing of things. We are excited to see more of our friends around the club as the sun continues to shine.
A quick overview of things to come at Railside:
If you missed it, our 2019 events calendar is now online. We are excited for the upcoming events, so be sure to mark these on your calendar. Also a reminder that all events require an RSVP.
Our Easter Brunch is filling up fast, but we still have a few openings for the 10:00 and 10:30am time slots. You can make a reservation by calling Kari at 616.878.1140 or email her here.
Mother’s Day Brunch
Mother’s Day is May 12. If you have not made your reservation for brunch, please do so by calling Kari at 616.878.1140 or email her here.
The Union Pavilion
Construction is close to being finished. We are excited for the space to be complete! There are still a few available dates for weddings this summer/fall. Contact Donna for more information.
Thank you for your continued support of Railside Golf Club and for being part of our great tight-knit community.
FROM THE PRO MATT KOETS
April Events Are Almost Here
After a long winter, we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Some nice late March weather allowed us to open for play and now we are ready to flip the calendar over to April. Our tournament season starts in earnest during the month of April and below are highlights of the events we will host later on this month:
- Tuesday, April 16, 6:30pm- Ladies’ Opening Dinner
- Tuesday, April 23, 6:00pm shotgun- Ladies’ Spring Scramble (TCQ) Dinner and golf bingo will follow golf
- Thursday, April 25, 3:00pm and 6:00pm- Men’s League Opening Day
- Saturday, April 27, 9:00am- Men’s Spring Scramble (GCQ)
- Tuesday, April 30, 6:00pm- Ladies’ League (TCQ) Opening Night
You will find all of the important details and signup sheets for each event posted on the bulletin boards near the locker rooms and on our website. And as always, please ask a member of your professional staff should you have any questions- we are happy to assist!
Handicap Posting Season Starts
April 1 is the first day golfers may turn in Michigan scores for their GHIN handicap record. The official Michigan season runs from April 1 – Oct. 31. Golfers are able to post scores from Florida, Texas, California and other “year-round” golf states as deemed by the USGA, however, Michigan scores may only be posted during the official active season in this state. Please turn your scorecards in at the Golf Shop or you may post your scores via the GHIN app.
Stuff Your Locker- Titleist Loyalty Program is back again for 2019
Now through April 22 you can take advantage of this special offer from Titleist. Purchase three dozen custom imprinted Pro V1, Pro V1X, or AVX golf balls and receive a 4th dozen free! Here’s how you can place your order:
- Call the Golf Shop 878.0202 or email a member of the professional staff
- Select Pro V1, Pro V1X, or AVX. Yellow golf balls are now available too!
- Select the play numbers you’d like- 1-4’s, 5-8’s, or you can pick any number 00-99. (Pro V1 and Pro V1X only)
- Tell us what you’d like imprinted- you can choose up to three lines of text with 17 characters in each line
- Select from the following ink colors- black, blue, red, green, or pink
- Orders typically take two weeks and a member of the staff will notify you when they arrive or we will place them in your locker
We are also offering a great deal to stock up on gloves and socks for the start of the season. Purchase five FootJoy gloves or socks and receive one free!
New In the Golf Shop
We are receiving new shipments almost daily as we continue to stock the Golf Shop with new and exciting products for 2019. Please visit the club’s social media page on Instagram and Facebook as we highlight what’s new in the Golf Shop. Our April hours are Tuesday-Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm. The Golf Shop is closed on Mondays.
Golf Lesson Packages Now Available
Are you ready to get serious about improving your game? The professional staff is ready to help you achieve your 2019 goals. We have a variety of lesson package options available along with ½ and full hour lessons available for a spring tune up. Playing lessons are another great way to take your instruction and apply it to actual playing conditions. Not only can we help you with your game on the course, we can also help you better think your way around the course too! Please contact Matt for more information about scheduling your spring tune up.
Railside GC PGA Junior League Team
PGA Junior League Golf is:
- Fun– a popular scramble format creates a nurturing environment to learn the game
- Social– play on teams with friends, wearing numbered jerseys
- Inclusive– open to girls and boys, ages 13 and under
How to register:
Search for our team at PGAJLG.com/register or use the direct link to the Railside Team Page
- You will need the team password to register which is Railsidegolf19
The entry fee is $225 per child and is due upon registration and includes: practices, matches, team jersey, hat, golf balls, and one ½ hour private lesson with one of our PGA Professionals.
- Practices, Competitions, and Format- Practices will be held at here at the club prior to each scheduled match. Our league will consist of four-seven other teams from Cascade Hills CC, Blythefield CC, Egypt Valley CC, and Kent CC. The match schedule is TBD.
- Limited to the first 12 participants
- Deadline to register is May 31, 2019
- Please contact Matt with questions 878.0202 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Junior Golf Program
See more about our Summer Junior Golf Program here.
Here’s to fairways, greens, and more one putts!
PGA Head Golf Professional
FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT JEFF SMITH
Around the Course
The 2019 season has officially begun for our maintenance staff. We’re lucky to have the former crew return plus a couple new faces with prior years of experience. They’ve been extremely busy getting the course in shape and prepping for this spring.
As we saw our cool season grasses become dormant during the cold, snowy winter, we now anticipate the turf to wake up from hibernation. The soil temperature requires a minimum of 45 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit for growth; when soil temperatures increase for several days in a row, you’ll begin to notice a green up. As we begin to maintain these warmer temperatures, we look forward to seeing more green.
In order to prevent disease from taking out turf, we will be prophylactically applying fungicides and fertilizers to all the greens and fairways. Our greens will continue to be the main focus and we will be following a strict protocol per usual. Last year was a great season for our greens, despite the hot and humid weather. I look forward to healthier and smoother greens this season and anticipate another great year.
Golf Course Superintendent
There are still seats available for Easter brunch at 10:00 and 10:30am. Contact Kari at 616.878.1140 or email her here.
Welcome New Members
Join us in welcoming our newest members!
Railside Golf Club provides our members a place to gather and celebrate golf and friendships. Learn more about the benefits of Railside Golf Memberships below.